Public Relations Internship:
Now accepting applications for the Spring 2022 semester.
Starts: January 11, 2022
This person will support integrated communications programs for clients spanning a variety of technologies. The person will have the opportunity to work on projects ranging from product and news launches to media relations and content programs, news and trends research to list building; no task can be too big or too small. Everything is a learning experience.
The individual will be provided support and direct communication from team leaders including the training needed to be successful in PR. The ideal candidate is a quick learner with a strong desire to learn the key foundational elements of what it takes to be successful in media relations, PR and social media. They will gain experience in a fast-paced environment while learning to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
This person must be proactive, collaborative, and creative and have a solid understanding of social media as a communications tactic. The individual needs to have a baseline interest in technology. Tech PR is a category of public relations, it is a career builder and one of the fastest growing segments in the PR industry. You must be a self-starter, resourceful, patient, a solid note-taker who is willing to give it a try versus seeking all the answers from someone else. Are you a problem solver? Good. We’re looking for someone who has strong verbal and written communication skills, has excellent time management skills and is a meticulous organizer who can and will multi-task and is interested in building their career with a fun and fast-paced team. This internship will be as good as you make it; we are busy and do not offer childcare services, but it’s worth it, ask our previous interns, many of whom won top PR awards and all of whom had job offers at the end of their internships. They learned it all at Caster.
- Learn media list creation and maintenance
- Tactical implementation of foundational initiatives for Caster clients
- Updating & maintaining an editorial calendar
- Updating & maintaining social media calendars
- Research: client news, competitive news, industry trends, media opportunities, background info, contact information, source credibility, data research, demographic studies – and learning how to turn all this into media opportunities for clients.
- Writing for PR: blogs, product award entries, media pitches, bios, social media posts
- Learn the art of the pitch and own pitching projects: assigned to interns to include a start-to-finish project by semester: research, lists, writing, media outreach, and results.
- Learn Key PR tools: Meltwater, MuckRack, MailChimp, Canva, Zoom, Teams, Outlook, Google Analytics (advanced), Editorial Calendars, Sprout Social (advanced)
- Contribute to timely reports of press and social media coverage results & trends
Digital & Social Media:
- Learn the how and why of social media content for consumer and B2B accounts
- Social Media: contributing to campaigns, content: aggregate and organic, learning and applying tools for measurement/metrics and reporting
- Learn how to amplify, engage and promote news on social properties
- Update & maintain social content calendars
- Understand, use and implement content on the top social platforms for business metrics
- Contribute to team projects
- Manage weekly status reports/move projects forward according to deadlines
- Learn PR tools: WordPress, Sprout, Meltwater, Muck Rack
- Learn Office tools: Email, Slack, MS365, Zoom
- Junior or Senior year in college (or post-graduation), GPA of 3.25 or higher (3.5 or higher on major courses), involvement in other activities
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strong research skills
- Understanding of social media
- Strong organizational skills & ability to multi-task, work in a team office environment, and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in computers & standard office applications (Microsoft Office, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and more)
- Hours can be exchanged for college credits, paid at $12/hour, or a mix if hours exceed your course requirements.
- Cover letter as to why you would be the best candidate for this program
- Resume with links to social profiles
- Digital portfolio and/or 3 writing samples
- Copy of latest transcript highlighting GPA
- Provide 2 of the 3 following references:
- One educator from college or university
- One current or past employer: must have worked for them for more than 4 months, direct supervisor
- One peer: co-worker, class project team member, co-volunteer from campus or related activity, or related. If you are not sure, please ask.
- Please email your completed materials to Kyra Casioppo, office manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).